testing

Let us assume a hypothetical disease which afflicts people with 10% probability (i.e. there is a 10% chance that I have this disease right now).
Let us also assume a hypothetical test for this disease with 90% accuracy (i.e. in 9 out of 10 cases it correctly determines if somebody has the disease or not).
Finally, let us assume that I have just been tested and the result came back positive.
What is the probability that I actually have this disease?

added later: The answer is in the comments.
This kind of calculation should be interesting to doctors and their patients; but I was actually thinking about the stock market when I came up with it.
I assume investors would like to avoid market crashes and severe drawdowns, but they are quite rare: 1974, 1987, 2000, 2008 come to my mind. So they seem to happen (on average) more than ten years apart and usually the "crash phase" lasts for a few months only. In other words, the probability that a particular month will experience a "crash" is well below 10%. Therefore, if an investor wants to avoid those "disease months" consistently, she needs a predictor with accuracy much better than 90%.

added even later: Using Bayes' formula, one would calculate p(S|P) as probability to be Sick conditional on the test being Positive as p(P|S) * p(S) / p(P)
In my experience (I have asked this kind of question several times in job interviews), if people have a problem with it, the problem is usually with the denominator; i.e. p(P) = p(P|S)*p(S) + p(P|N)*p(N), with N denoting Non-sick.
So let me help the Bayesians a little bit: It is usually more intuitive to calculate the ratio p(S|P) / p(N|P) because then p(P) falls out of the equation.

8 comments:

CapitalistImperialistPig said...

Bayes disease?

wolfgang said...

Perhaps, but there is a simple frequentist answer ...

Lee said...

Just guessing, I'd say you have a 50% chance of having the disease. I don't know what the probability of my guess being right is though until you tell me and then the probability of me knowing will go to 1.

Lee said...

Just to be a little more clear it seems to me that the four possibilities are 1%, 9%, 9%, and 81%. The two test positive possibilities are 9% and 9% and the test negative possibilities are excluded so you have a 50% probability of having the disease.

wolfgang said...

Correct.

Consider 100 ppl , on average 90 will be healthy and 10 will have the disease.
The test falsely finds 90*0.1 = 9 healthy ppl to have the disease and of the 10 sick people will identify correctly 10*0.9 = 9
Since I don't know to which of the two groups of 9 people each I belong, my chances are 50:50

CapitalistImperialistPig said...

I just meant that I was taught to use Bayes theorem to solve this problem.

Lee said...

>> Therefore, if an investor wants to avoid those "disease months" consistently, she needs a predictor with accuracy much better than 90%.

Makes one wonder whether those few who occasionally do get it right and are proclaimed geniuses might not also be very very lucky along with their genius.

wolfgang said...

Agreed, but I should mention that in my example the payout is asymmetric if one should bet on such a predictor; so even if the probability does not exceed 50% the expected profit could still be positive.
Of course, in reality there is (probably) not such good predictor with > 90% accuracy.

Blog Archive