wax and other stuff

A pipeline supplying 90% of the oil from China to North Korea was excluded from recent UN sancations. Why?
The (official) reason is surprising: wax.
SCMP

Scott A. explains meditation as positive feedback loop.
slatestarcodex

Could there be a consistent world with 2+3 being uncomputable?
here and here

It is likely that AfD will come in 3rd in the German elections tomorrow, becoming the largest opposition party (*).
wikipedia

(*) AfD received 13%, while CDU/CSU and SPD lost significantly; a continuation of their coalition is no longer certain ...


We finally understand how boys learn physics at a young age and their advantage vs girls.
tes

"Personal data is the fuel of the economy" ... amazing how much personal data people are disclosing.
schneier

The first observation of gravitational waves by three different detectors.
nsf

5 comments:

Lee said...

Yeah, I'm still kicking. I would have answered you at CIP's blog, but I didn't have anything germane to say about the post. I do have a question about one of the topics here though. Do you see anything wrong about atreat's argument vs Scott's? For some reason, atreat's comments made more sense to me than Scott's. I don't have a mathematical reason for that, it just in some way is more appealing to me.

Btw, I heard or read somewhere (probably unreliable) that LIGO may have detected a neutron star merger with a black hole or another neutron star but hasn't announced it yet. The merger supposedly gave off detectable light.

wolfgang said...

>> I'm still kicking
!

I dont know enough to guess if atreat could actually build that language.
But it reminded me of my question about the (very small) probability that simple statements like 2+3=5 are actually wrong.

As for the neutron star merger story - I think it turned out to be the story I linked to, about yet another black hole merger, but with much better resolution because 3 detectors instead just two observed it.

Lee said...

I found where I read about the rumor of a neutron star detection. If you want, read the last paragraph of the link to NPR report of the LIGO-VIRGO detection below.

http://www.npr.org/2017/09/27/554057298/gravitational-wave-detector-in-italy-saw-wave-pass-through-earth-in-august

wolfgang said...

Lee,

the rumors about the neutron star merger were indeed true, as we learned today.
This is great and so begins a new age in astronomy ...

Lee said...

Yeah, occasionally some subset of we humans achieve something that is really special! I don't know about anybody else, but it brightens my mood considerably.

Blog Archive