How not to die ...

A few things changed during the last six months.

We moved from The Bahamas to Malta; one advantage is that I don't need to follow the track of hurricane Dorian closely.

We moved to a plant based diet, after reading Dr. Greger's book How Not To Die.
If you are worried about heart attack, stroke, cancer and all that you may want to visit his webpage.
Btw a while ago there was some back and forth with CIP about the paleo-diet; meanwhile I learned that the real paleo diet was mostly plant based with very high amounts of fiber.

I go the gym now every day, do breathing exercises and try to improve my sleep; it is not easy getting old.

Last but not least, I try to exercise my brain to delay the onset of dementia - but I forgot why ...

5 comments:

Lee said...

Which part of the paleolithic does Dr. Greger think proper dietary behavior reached its apex? Inquiring minds want to know. It's been my experience that the dementia worry doesn't diminish with time. Blogging can't hurt. 8-)

CapitalistImperialistPig said...

I'm guessing that a real paleo diet had a lot bugs and grubs. You do need some protein.

wolfgang said...

@CIP Yes, as the page I linked to states: "...insects provided significant amounts of protein..."
My daughter ate grasshopers once in a Belgium restaurant, but I never ate bugs.

@Lee I am not sure what age the paleo-poop had that the scientists examined ...
His main point is that current "paleo diets" are far from what cavemen and cavewomen actually ate and I find the evidence quite convincing (although I never examined paleo-poop myself of course).


Lee said...

Wolfgang,
I agree that the paleo-diets of today probably have little to no connection with what paleolithic peoples actually ate. And I don't know for sure, but I think that a high fiber diet is almost certainly a good thing. I do question that we know with any degree of accuracy what various paleolithic peoples did eat at a given point in time. The paleolithic lasted somewhere around 3 million years. Sometime in the upper paleolithic, modern humans were north of the arctic circle and those peoples were probably eating mostly fat.

wolfgang said...

Lee,

on the webpage the references are to:

Eaton SB et al. Paleolithic Nutrition Revisited: A Twelve-Year Retrospective on Its Nature and Implications. Euro J Clin Nutr. 1997; 51(4):207–216 .

Konner M, Eaton SB. Paleolithic Nutrition: Twenty-Five Years Later. Nutr Clin Prac. 2010; 25:594–602.

I have no access to those journals and therefore do not know what part of the paleolithic (time and geography) the fossils are from.

Blog Archive