the calm and the storm

Many were and still are wondering what Trump had in mind when he talked about "the calm before the storm".
This is my best guess, using his recent tweets as additional confirmation:
It is widely expected that North Korea will test yet another long-range ballistic missile soon, e.g. October 10 to coincide with some anniversaries; I believe this time the US will (try to) shoot down that missile.
It could either use THAAD stationed in South Korea or (more likely) Aegis as soon as the missile takes a course over Japan.
By the way, Shinzo Abe has an election coming up on October 22nd and could use some patriotic spirit ...

added later: Trump reportedly asked Abe why Japan did not shoot down the missiles NK tested in August.

5 comments:

CapitalistImperialistPig said...

If they want to get it, two whacks at the piƱata might have a better chance.

wolfgang said...

Aegis has successfully hit a satellite before and I think it could shoot down a NK missile.
They would launch more than one standard missile and indeed try two or three whacks.

Lee said...

Off topic.

I don't know if you ever read Woit anymore, but his Oct 11 post entitled,
"Various Topics in Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics" has a couple of links that I think have an outside chance of being of interest to you. One is to a paper by Don Weingarten, and the other a rebuttal of that paper by Jess Riedel.

wolfgang said...

Lee,

I did browse the paper and I read Jess Riedel's review.
I dont think it is a step forward ... but it does not really matter what I think about it.

Lee said...

>> but it does not really matter what I think about it.

That's true. But at this point in time, it doesn't matter much what anybody else thinks about it either.

Of course what I think about any issue doesn't matter, but for some reason that fact doesn't prevent me from getting enjoyment from thinking about them.

Blog Archive